The Tamilnadu Flood 2015-16 has made extensive damage not only to the lives and livelihood also the poor households and school infrastructure. An initial assessment done by REAL found that,
- Most of the household either fully or partially damaged houses of poor, particularly made of mud and thatches
- It mostly belongs to SC and ST and are staying in low lying areas and lack boundaries
- Mud walls have suffered the maximum brunt.
- Mostly affected huts are either collapsed or unliveable
- Toilet blocks in schools are dilapidated and need urgent attention in order to save them from total collapse. The structures are old and not of standard, the roofs are leaking, the walls are blighted, clogged sewage tank, without water supply etc.
In this context, REAL with generous funding support of various donor agencies, involved in repairing and rebuilding of houses and school toilets in Cuddalore which is one of the worst flood affected district