Promoting WASH in schools and communities is one of the core area of focus of REAL organization. In order to improving the physical learning environment of the school, the organization supported for;
- More than 50 government aided schools in building, upgrading and repairing of school sanitation complex including separate urinals and toilets for boys and girls and built child friendly ‘hand wash platform’ in 35 villages of Cuddalore, Villupuram and Kachipuram District.
- Restoration of water facilities and installation of RO plant and Solar Panel (need based) also been done in 6 targeted schools.
- Supplied ‘Water Purifiers “ to 35 schools
- More than 6000 children, 250 teacher and 50 SMC were sensitized and built capacity on hygiene education, safe water, hand wash practices etc. to bring out the positive behaviour change.
Almost 60% of the villages where REAL works lacking individual household toilets and has poor sanitation practices. Hence, the organization rigorous in creating awareness on importance of toilet construction and use through various platforms and during SHG meetings.
Further, the organization established
- Two precast, ferro-cement based toilet manufacturing units.
It is one of the innovative idea and well accepted by the district administration. Each unit has the capacity of producing 20 modular toilets per month. REAL also helps the women in SHG to avail credit from the federation and financial institution for building of household toilets exclusively. Thus far, organization built around
- 5,000 IHH toilets in 140 villages
- Over 20,000 women, children and men in the community were sensitized about toilet use and hand wash method.
- One of the biggest achievement is, building of 100% percent toilet in Vasanakuppam village in Cuddalore and has been declared as Open Defecation Free Village by the District Collector of Cuddalore.
Recently, REAL conceived a pilot project on “Recycling & Plastic Waste Management” in five schools and communities in Thiruvallur district.
Recently, REAL conceived a pilot project on “Recycling & Plastic Waste Management” in 5 schools and communities in Thiruvallur district.